Deeeep In Thought!

Deeeep In Thought!
Too much sun, though!

Dave's Pages

Now We're Talking!

Welcome to the Blog! Here you'll find content relevant to men's self-esteem, Jewish religious/cultural traditions, life growing up in Long Island (specifically South Nassau), and adjustments to married life!

Search/Find

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A White X-Mas!

Yes people, we're now in the midst of the Blizzard of 2010. Here in the NYC area, we're getting POUNDED! And on the Jersey City side of the river, the wind gusts we get off the Hudson River is blowing the snow sideways! I can only imagine how my friends in my native heath of Nassau County, Long Island, are dealing -- I just hope everyone is indoors, safe and sound!

So sad, really. When I was a kid, I would clamor for snow days, as they were so few and far between. I can remember in particular a blizzard that happened when I was in 10th Grade, in the 1987-88 school year. Every SINGLE school district on Long Island closed their schools, but NOT beautiful downtown Baldwin! I remember looking longingly at the high snow drifts outside the window in Ms. Siani's biology class.

(um, Dave, you just admitted you weren't paying attention in class -- Ah, so what, I got a great grade on the Regents anyway!)

Nowadays, as an adult, we dread the snow. Since I'm currently using all my vacation days now in December, since I can't recycle them in 2011, I certainly don't have the chutzpah to wish for a snow day now. Moreover, the managing partner at our firm has repeatedly indicated in mass e-mails that he would never close the firm in situations like this, because these storms tend to pass, or not even happen, when the business week begins. I'm just glad that I have no court appearances tomorrow, and that it's dress-down for the rest of the year (week).

Which means I need to pose a question to you, my faithful readers. My dear wife thinks that it's a good idea for employees with paid vacation time to deliberately take less than the alotted vacation days, otherwise the employer will think the employee is lazy or unmotivated. I think the employee should take them all or most of them, or risk burnout. After all, if it's being offered, take it! Am I right, or is the lady?

COMMENT, as Lionel says, as you see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell RunningLaw What's Up!