Deeeep In Thought!

Deeeep In Thought!
Too much sun, though!

Dave's Pages

Now We're Talking!

Welcome to the Blog! Here you'll find content relevant to men's self-esteem, Jewish religious/cultural traditions, life growing up in Long Island (specifically South Nassau), and adjustments to married life!

Search/Find

Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Godson

The next step for the Lady and I will be bringing children into the world. However, we both need to wait some time to have them. My schedule has me working in the office about 12 hours a day every day, since I have to handle and manage all of the cases we have for one particular client. Her schedule has her all over, working 24/7. We need time and room to bring little ones into our lives.

So where can I go to fulfill my paternal impulses and aching need to act silly and goofy? To my godson's house, of course! Those of you who saw my profile on MySpace and Facebook may remember a shot of me carrying a baby -- well, that was him! Now Reigny's 3 years old and he's tons of fun!

First of all, anytime you have a chance to play with a 3-year-old kid who has a mohawk, you know it's gonna be a good time! Now that he's developed a definite personality, and is able to wrestle with his older brother (despite what he gives up in age and size), it's even better! I can teach him to sing the "I'm sorry" song, so he can always get out of trouble with Mom ("I'm sorry, so sorry, please accept my apologies"), and he repeats everything I tell him!

He even outsmarted me! He kept pointing towards the top of the entertainment center his folks have in the living room, saying he wanted "paper" to draw on. So I look through all of these boxes and containers up there, can't see any paper anywhere! After a while, his Aunt Korri starts cracking up and tells me, "He's trying to play you soooo bad! Those are all the toys that are banned in this house!" Oh well, that's part of my role here as the godfather/unofficial uncle/friendly grown-up -- because I don't make the rules, and I'm not the parent, I can let them "play" me a little bit.

Just makes me wonder what I should do when I am the parent. I want to be someone they'd love and respect, but it's not easy for me to be the bad guy. I still hear plenty of yelling and screaming at that ranch -- it has to be done because kids that young have to be taught right and wrong with some harshness and some discipline. I just don't want to go overboard. A traumatized and emotionally wounded child is a high price to pay to be "in charge" and "in control."

Probably something to look at another day -- but I would like to have one or two little folk while my parents are still alive and can be grandparents. We shall see . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell RunningLaw What's Up!